Monday, March 1, 2010

MAN: Dog's best friend

Recently I visited a dog show with one of my friends. It was a great experience. There were dogs of various breeds like, dobermans, dachshunds, great Danes, pugs, Labradors, German Shepards, dalmatians, a St Bernard and my personal favorite, a couple of Siberian husky puppies. The dogs were having a great time, running around, occasionally causing chaos and creating a great atmosphere(although the smell was not a very agreeable).

A Siberian husky




Watching all the dogs made me want one too. But due to some stringent conditions in my house it does not seem to be a possibility in the near future.

What really puzzled me that day was, why is the dog different from any other animal. In fact the dog might be(not sure here, clarification anybody?) the only species which may even alienate one of its own species in favor of its master. We humans pride ourselves with our uniqueness and claim to have a sixth sense. But what does a dog have apart from the 5 senses that makes it such a loving and loyal being or in other words, Man's best friend.

So in order to clarify my doubts I resorted to wikipedia. And the explanation I received was,
The domestic dog has a predisposition to exhibit a social intelligence that is uncommon in the animal world. Dogs are capable of learning in a number of ways, such as through simple reinforcement (e.g. classical or operant conditioning) and by observation.

Who says that Wikipedia is not reliable? The above definition seemed to be the Dog's bollocks to me(no pun intended.OK thats not true.It was entirely intentional. In fact I could not wait to use it. All right I'll admit it, I wrote this entire piece in order to pierce that somewhere.)

Anyway, watching the dogs bond made me realise that the bond between man and dog was a two way street. We all are aware of the dog's unwavering loyalty to man. But I could see why. Everywhere there were people nurturing and caring for the dogs. They treated them like one of their own. The lengths at which they discussed about the food plans for the dogs could only be rivaled by parents discussing about colleges for their sons and daughters. In fact you could see the love in the eyes of the owners when they paraded their dog around beaming with pride.(The owner of the dog which won the award for the best dog was literally in tears.). At the end of the day all one can say is, DOGS ROCK!!!! and so do Humans.
Thank you God(IF u exist of course) for these two wonderful creations.

Walking across the street I saw him;
Cuddled up in his corner, ears down;
Eyes half open, utilized and tired;
Conquered by him, I threw him a piece;
His eyes flashed open, gobbling it with ease;
Looking at me, like I was God to him, and
Wagging his tail from side to side, he said,
He said.........."bow wow"

No comments: